NEW: We formalized our Volunteer Program, and as of January 2013 all volunteers are required to attend the orientation.
The orientation takes 1 hour (30 min orientation and 30 min volunteering at the Co-op), and you receive one hour credit (one 18% discount coupon) for attending. Orientations take place in the cafe at the Co-op. All volunteers must attend the volunteer orientation before volunteering for the Co-op. Registration is not required for orientation. We will meet in the Co-op cafe (indoor seating area).
Here is a list of Volunteer Orientations:
Tuesday, August 20 at 1:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Wednesday, August 21 at 6:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Tuesday, September 10 at 1:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Wednesday, September 11 at 6:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Monday, October 21 at 6:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Tuesday, October 22 at 1:30 pm (at the Co+op)
Note: We hold 1-2 orientations a month. All Volunteer Orientations take place at the Co+op.
Co-op Volunteer Program:
Members who complete one (1) hour of work in our Volunteer Program will receive a discount coupon good for 18% off their purchases for a single shopping visit. Coupons are fully transferable and can be distributed to friends, neighbors and family for their use at the co-op.
The 18% discount may not be “compounded” with any other discount (e.g. the 18% Volunteer discount would not be in addition to an 18% bulk discount or “member-only special”).
Discount coupons may only be issued by a manager after the completion of one (1) hour of work. Shifts must be scheduled by a manager. Ongoing or regularly scheduled shifts must be arranged in advance. The total number of hours available each week will be determined by the needs of each department and the co-op. The minimum “shift” will be 1 hour.
A 1/2-hour orientation is required for all new & current worker members. Additional training may be required by different departments. Volunteers will be responsible for adhering to the LACM Personnel Policy Manual and expected to be productive and customer service oriented during their shift. Performance expectations will be established by department managers.
The program will be reviewed periodically for effectiveness and can be modified from time-to-time with approval from the general manager.
Do you want to Volunteer? Email email@example.com
NEW Co-op Community Volunteer Program:
This new program is intended to encourage co-op members to volunteer with non-profit organizations in the community. Only co-op member volunteers qualify for this program, and the discount card reward system applies only to participating local non-profit organizations.
Becoming a Participating Community Organization: Fill out and return our Community Volunteer Program Policy.
Volunteer Requirements: Following are general agreements for participation in the volunteer program
1. All participants must be current co-op members.
2. To sign up for this program, you must attend a Co-op Volunteer Orientation.
3. You must meet the volunteer requirements for the qualifying community organization(s).
4. It is the responsibility of the Volunteer to have the supervisor at the organization for whom they volunteer sign the most current Volunteer Worksheet to verify their hours. After your hours for the month are completed, the worksheets must be turned in no later than the 30th of the following month. This is extremely important!
5. Volunteers will get one discount shopping card for every hour of volunteer service, up to, but not over, 3 cards per month. Worksheets are exchanged for Discount Shopping Cards based on whole hours worked: 1 hour = 1 card. In this program, we do not track or compensate fractions of an hour worked.
6. Signed Worksheets are exchanged for Discount Shopping Cards by turning in your Worksheet at the Co-op Information Desk. To obtain volunteer credit for the hours worked each month, these sheets must be turned in no later than the 30th of the following. If this time line is not followed, the volunteer hours are forfeited and NO volunteer cards can be issued.
7. The discount card is treated like cash – there will be no replacements if lost. (The discount card does not expire).
8. Member Volunteers are expected to be polite, respectful and considerate in their exchanges with members of the community staff.
9. Any abuse of this program may result in revoking of the volunteer program privileges.
Thank you for helping to build our community through your volunteer effort!
New Ways to Volunteer!
Greetings Co-op Members,
Very exciting things are happening with the volunteer program. In Septemeber, we will begin volunteer orientations. And alas, we are rolling out our community volunteer program in which you can earn co-op discount cards by volunteering at local non profits! Volunteering never had so many perks, you can have fun, serve your community and save money on groceries that are good for you and the planet. I look forward to meeting you at an upcoming orientation!
Terra (Volunteer, Volunteer Coordinator)
May 2012: Hello Co-op Members,
Volunteering at the co-op is a win-win opportunity. Along with the joy of helping, the co-op benefits from your contribution, and for every hour of volunteer work you do, you receive an 18% discount card for a single shopping trip. If you are not yet on my mailing list, please email me to sign up (firstname.lastname@example.org). When you are on the mailing list, you'll receive emails from me when an opportunity arises. I assign these jobs on a first come first serve basis.
I'd like to send a special thank you to those of you who are already on our mailing list, and I would especially like to thank those of you who have volunteered. The opportunities to volunteer continue to develop as we work toward cooperating with local non-profits to provide them with volunteers.
Volunteers are still needed for Co-opRocks! on May 19th. Please let me know if you'd be interested in helping out at this rocking event.